Thursday, October 16, 2008

Welcome Cohort 5 group!

Cohort 5 of the Wellspring Heart Program is nearing "graduation" of the 12 week intensive heart health program...here's a chance to continue being in contact with group members over the next months and (maybe) years, sharing successes and challenges, thoughts, ideas, recipes (!), and fellowship. I invite you all to begin using this space...

19 comments:

Rob Anderson said...

My wife and I are both home from OHSU and she is doing fine. Thanks for the prayers... Rob & Elaine

carrie said...

This sucks - I can't get in

carrie said...

OK I think I have it. I will try an dstay in tough
Carrie

Unknown said...

I'm all set up.....YEA!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello all!
I did it and got in!
Thanks Rob for the coaching and Shannon for creating this Blogg!
See you all next week and have a wonderful weekend!
Beccie

ShannonJ. said...

I have "hit the wall" the last couple of days, feeling uninspired about cooking...I would love to have more "main dish" type recipes--does anyone have recipes to share?
I did make Sue Brody's "3 Sisters Stew" last night and may family gave it a thumbs up!

Rob Anderson said...

Healthy Oatmeal Cookies

• 1 c. raisins
• 1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
• 1 tsp. baking soda
• 1 tsp. cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp. salt
• 1 c. canola oil (Yogurt works also)
• 1 1/2 c. Splenda granulated
• 3 egg whites
• 1 t. vanilla
• 1 3.9 oz. single-serving cup of unsweetened applesauce I use (2)two of these
• 1/3 c. mashed banana
• 3 1/4 c. old-fashioned oats
• 1/2 c. Wonder Cocoa
Method
Put raisins into small bowl and pour in enough very hot boiling water to cover; set aside. In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; mix well. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In large bowl, combine the oil or Yogurt and Splenda; beat well. Beat in egg whites and vanilla. Mix in the applesauce and banana, followed by the flour mixture. Drain water from raisins; pat to remove excess moisture with a paper towel. Stir in oats, walnuts, and raisins; mix well. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto cookie sheet that has been lightly sprayed with nonstick spray. Bake for 8-9 minutes at 350 degrees F. or until tops of cookies are slightly firm to the touch.

Notes: This recipe results in absolutely great-tasting soft cookies that are healthy enough to eat for breakfast!

Number of Servings: 48

shannonj. said...

IT'S A GIRL!!
Sarah delivered a healthy, beautiful 8 lb. 3 oz. baby girl this morning--everyone is doing fine. I took a picture, which I hope to have on the blog soon.
Baby has no name yet.
Shannon J.

Jim said...

I hope Im in. I always seem to get lost with this stull.

I'm looking forward to seeing you all soon.

Congratulations to Sarah and new baby girl.

Darlene said...

Thank you all for this amazing journey that started 12 weeks ago. And now, to top it all off, we have a baby girl to celebrate the beginning of the rest of the journey!! Blessings

ShannonJ. said...

I'm going to try to post the pictures I have to share of 1) my chickens eating Becci's tofu (does tofu ever REALLY go bad?!!) and 2) Sarah and her beautiful baby girl.

shannonj. said...

Recipe: Banana Bread
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. applesauce
Cream together, then add:
3 eggs unbeaten egg whites, one at a time
2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 t. salt
1 t. soda
Bake in bread pan for 55-60 min.

shannonj. said...

How's everyone feeling about the presidential election?!!
I talked with my mom today, who at (nearly) 98 yrs. has seen women get the right to vote, and now an African American become president. How cool is that!!Shannon J.

shannonj. said...

OOPS!!
The banana bread recipe was missing a critical ingredient--the BANANAS!! Thanks to Rob for picking up on this.
The recipe should include: 3 very ripe bananas, mashed.
Sorry!!
Shannon J.

Rob Anderson said...

I have been trying to get something going on a meet for our group, and Jim was able to get the Bamboo room for next Monday night at 6:30 PM... I hope that many of us can make it then I know that it is very short notice but I still can hope! We will need to setup a date for a potluck.

Thanks to all of you,
Rob

Rob Anderson said...

Well, our meeting went on tonight at 6:30 in the Bamboo room. We talked about what would be the best way for all of us to get together and decided to make it on Wednesday's for yoga, then group, and then eat there if people wanted. We would like as many of us as possible to attend on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday's of every month so we could break off into our own group. I will be sending out an email to everyone so they will know.
Keep up the great work.

Rob Anderson said...

Great Northern White Chicken Chili Anderson Style

Makes 22 cups

2 medium Walla Walla sweet onions
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 lbs great northern beans
1 lbs garbanzo beans
6 cups vegetable broth “low sodium”
2 cups chicken broth “low sodium”
2 teaspoons of chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 (4oz) cans of green chilies
2 cups frozen sweet corn
1 (14oz) cubed extra firm Tofu
1 (12oz) Quorn meatless and soy free Grounds
2 large boneless skinless chicken breast “cubed”

Soak and cook beans as directed on the package, then take your chicken breast and cube it up, then coat a large pot (we use a 12qt stockpot) with nonstick cooking spray, then sauté the onion and garlic over medium heat for 3 minutes or until tender, then throw in the cubed tofu and chicken and cook until done (I like to sprinkle some salt free bar-b-q seasoning. Stir frequently. Pour 2 cups of the Great Northern beans into a food processor or blender along with two cups of the vegetable broth and process until smooth. Add everything to the pot, bring to a boil and reduce heat and cook for 30 minutes-simmer gently. Be sure and taste and season to your liking. Garnish with a dollop of fat free sour cream or topping of your choice. You could use fat free cheddar, salsa, green onions, etc…

You could substitute other lean meats or leave them out entirely.

This makes a very thick chili—just the way we like it.

shannonj. said...

I discovered a new website for finding recipes, called cooks.com.
If you type in 'fat free' in the recipe search box, it will bring up all sorts of fat free recipes.
Shannon Jorgenson

Anonymous said...

Here is Lara's Pear Salad recipe. She went to great lenghts to get this receipe to several of us wanting it. I made it yesterday for Thanksgiving. Hope you all had a good day; I spent it with my daughters in Bend, and my grandson.
We had a great meal with very little zig/zig involved.

6 cups mixed greens
1 cup caramelized soy nuts* see below
2 ripe pears - cored & sliced in small pieces
fresh lemon juice (to dip pears in to keep from turning brown)
1/2 cup Fat-Free Feta Cheese crumbled

Pear Vinaigrette
1 ripe pear, halved & cored
1 TB lemon juice
2 TB white vinegar (I used rice vinegar)
1 TB Honey
1 teaspoon lemon zest

Put pear & lemon juice in food processor and pulse a couple of times. Then add honey & lemon zest and pulse a couple more times. Dress the salad with this vinaigrette!

**Caramelized Soy nuts
1/4 cup honey
Cook honey until a light Caramel color. Mix with 1 cup soy nuts and cover all the nuts with honey.
Dry on parchment paper or foil and separate nuts or they will dry in big clumps.

I love this Salad! The vinaigrette dressing is awesome

Happy THanksgiving everyone!